Hamilton Cake

Hello!

After many of my family members inquired why I didn’t have a blog for my website, I decided to take the plunge and create one. Please bare with me, as I am not the best blog savvy person! Without further a do, my first post!

This cake is one of many cakes that I have/ will continue to make for my dear friend Ashley. For the past 5 years or so, I have continued the tradition of making her a specialty cake for her birthday. It started in college, with a not so great Audrey Hepburn silhouette cake. Over the past years I have covered another Audrey cake in the My Fair Lady theme, Wicked, Game of Thrones & just last year Star Wars. If you can’t tell, Ashley is very much into Broadway musicals, and I decided to continue with the musical theater theme this year with Ashley’s new favorite musical, Hamilton.

Hamilton Poster
The task at hand……

While the theme and decor differ each year, the flavor remains the same. Celebration funfetti cake with vanilla buttercream. This year I decided to do a quarter sheet cake, in order to not distort the rectangle shape of the Hamilton cover.

In order to achieve the background’s gold appearance, I used a mixture of luster dust and vodka to make a thin shimmery paste (don’t worry, the alcohol evaporates).

Gold brushed fondant for hamilton
Look at that luster!

I then brushed this onto my fondant cut out. For the iconic silhouette, I traced the outline and used an exacto knife to perfectly replicate the image. I tried to make it look more like a woman’s silhouette by adding a little more curvature around the chest region, but I don’t know if it truly made a difference.

By far the hardest part about this cake was the lettering. After googling “Hamilton Font” I was quite surprised to find that there indeed was information on the exact font for the playbill. I was able to download the font and spell out “PEABODY” in order to get the look just right! Painting these bad boys were a bit difficult and required a steady hand. I used a mixture of white petal dust, vodka and a pit of piping gel for an excellent painting consistency.

After this, I placed the silhouette on top of the gold fondant cut out, and then proceeded to place this on top of the quarter sheet that I had previously assembled and iced. I finished off the sides with a cake comb and piped the borders with a simple dot border.

Hamilton complete final cake 2
The final product!

All in all, I am impressed at how this cake turned out. Of course there is always something that I could improve or tweak, but I always think about these things after every project I complete. Thank you for reading and can’t wait for you to tune in for more Behind The Sweets!

-Christina

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close